The Risk Management and Insurance Program offers a certificate program in actuarial science and is open to qualified undergraduate students, regardless of major. The actuarial science certificate program is designed to prepare students for a career as an actuary. Actuaries apply mathematical models to measure and manage risk. They work for and with businesses with a financial focus, such as insurance companies, banks, investment firms, government agencies, accounting and consulting firms. The program combines coursework in mathematics, probability, statistics, risk management, economics, and finance.
Once accepted into the actuarial science certificate program, you are eligible to join the two risk management and insurance student organizations, Insurance Society and Gamma Iota Sigma, and access the same benefits available to risk management and insurance majors who belong to these organizations, such as scholarships, resume book, careers day, and exam reimbursement. (See “Student Resources” on RMI program page.)
This certificate program is open to all currently enrolled UGA undergraduate students. You must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.6 and a minimum grade of C in MATH 2250 and MATH 2260 (or equivalent courses) in order to apply.
- MATH 2250: Calculus I for Science and Engineering (or equivalent)
- MATH 2260: Calculus II for Science and Engineering (or equivalent)
Students must take a minimum of 21 hours. A minimum grade of C (2.00) is required in the core courses (Part I).
Part I: Required Core Courses (9 Hours)
Part II – Choose Two Course Sequences from the Following (12 Hours):
- RMIN 4800 Internship in Risk Management and Insurance (6 hours)
- Or choose two courses from the following:
How to Apply
Be sure you meet the eligibility requirements
Complete the online applicationNote: Application requires MyID to log in.
- September 1 – October 1
- February 1 – March 1
Notification of acceptance will be emailed approximately 2 weeks after each deadline.
Career Paths, Professional Designations and Exams
- Actuaries at UGA (Actuaries at UGA is the primary student organization at UGA dedicated in fostering the growth of potential actuaries. Meetings include networking events, company presentations, case studies, and informational presentations regarding actuarial exam prep, and requirements for professional actuary designations. To become a member, please send your request from your uga.edu email to our faculty advisor, Steven Pottier (firstname.lastname@example.org) so you can be added to our listserv. You will then be updated on all future meetings and events!
- Insurance Society
- Gamma Iota Sigma