PhD, Economics, Ohio State University, 1983
MA, Economics, Ohio State University, 1980
BA, Economics, Summa cum Laude, Washington State University, 1978
Josiah Meigs Distinguished Teaching Professor, University of Georgia, 2017
Finalist, Outstanding MBA Teacher, University of Georgia, 1999
Outstanding MBA "Core" Teacher, University of Georgia MBA 1st-year class, 1997
Distinguished Teacher Award, University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, 1997
Distinguished Research Award, University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, 1994
Financial Management Association International, President, 2001 – 2002, Professional
- International Finance
- Corporate Contracting
- Corporate Control
- 2012. Shareholder Proposal Rules and Practice: Evidence from a Comparison of the US and UK. American Business Law Journal.
- 2011. Mutual Funds as Monitors: Evidence From Mutual Fund Voting. Journal Of Corporate Finance, 17:914-928.
- 2009. Target Firm Information Asymmetry and Acquirer Returns. Review Of Finance, (13):467-493.
- 2009. The Rise of Corporate Governance in Corporate Control Research. Journal Of Corporate Finance, (15):1-9.
- 2008. Moving from Private to Public Ownership: Selling Out to Public Firms vs. Initial Public Offerings.Financial Management, (37):81-101.
- 2008. The Dynamics of Corporate Governance: Changes in Contractual Relations. Journal Of Corporate Finance, (14):163-165.
- 2006. The Evolution of Shareholder Voting for Executive Compensation Schemes. Journal Of Corporate Finance, (12):715-737.
- 2004. The Choice of Private versus Public Capital Markets: Evidence from Privatizations. Journal Of Finance, (49):2835-2870.
- 2003. Operational Risk in Finance Service Providers and the Proposed Basel Capital Accord: An Overview.Advances In Financial Economics, (8):147-172.
- 2001. Linking Pay to Performance - Compensation Proposals in the S&P 500. Journal Of Financial Economics, (62): 489-523.
- 2003. Determinants of Contractual Relations Between Shareholders and Bondholders: Investment Opportunities and Restrictive Debt Covenants. Journal Of Corporate Finance, (9):201-232.
- 1998. Proxy Contests and Corporate Change: Implications for Shareholder Wealth. Journal Of Financial Economics, (47):279-314.
- 1995. Managers in Financially Distressed Firms: Villains or Scapegoats?. Journal Of Finance, (50):919-940.
- 1995. Asset Sales, Firm Performance, and the Agency Costs of Managerial Discretion.Journal Of Financial Economics, (37):3-38.
Managing Co-Editor, Journal of Corporate Finance, 2001 - 2018
Associate Editor, Financial Management, 1999 - 2018
Associate Editor, Journal of Financial Research, 1993 - 2015