JD, Olin Fellow in Law and Economics, Emory University, 1985
PhD, Economics, Ohio State University, 1980
MA, Economics, Ohio State University, 1976
BA, Economics, Northwestern University, 1974
Josiah Meigs Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of Georgia, 2002
Terry College of Business Research Award, University of Georgia, 2000
Terry College of Business Distinguished Teacher Award, University of Georgia, 1992
Graduate Council, Member, 2006 – 2008, University
Presidential Advisory Committee, Member, 2008 – 2011, University
University P&T, Chair, 2005 – 2007, University
Meigs Award Committee, Member, 2005 – 2006, University
Russell Award Committee, Member, 2004 – 2005, University
MBA Review Committee, Chair, 2010 – 2011, University
University Council, Member, 2010 – 2012, University
University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, Terry Dean's Advisory Committee, Member, 2009 – 2011, University
Areas of Expertise
- Corporate Governance
- Public Choice
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance
- Law and Economics
- 2014. Can Managers Use Discretionary Accrurals to Ease Financial Constraints? Evidence from Discretionary Accrurals Prior yo Investment . The Accounting Review, 88(6):2117-2143.
- (2012).Shareholder Proposal Rules and Practice: Evidence From a Comparison of the US and the UK. American Business Law Journal.
- (2012). Endogeneity and the Dynamics of Internal Corporate Governance. Journal Of Financial Economics.
- (2010). Implications of Data Screens on Merger and Acquisition Analysis: A Large Sample Study of Mergers and Acquisitions from 1992-2009. Review Of Financial Studies, 24:2316-2357.
- (2009). Effects and Unintended Consequences of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act on Corporate Boards.Review Of Financial Studies, (22):3287-3328.
- (2009). What Caused the 1987 Stock Market Crash and Lessons for the 2008 Crash. Review Of Accounting And Finance.
- (2009). The Rise of Corporate Governance in Corporate Control Research. Journal Of Corporate Finance.
- (2008). Do Campaign Contributions and Lobbying Expenditures by Firms Create Political Capital. Atlantic Economic Review, (36):395-405.
- (2008). The Determinants of Board Structure. Journal Of Financial Economics, (87):308-328.
- (2005). Bank Privatization in Developing and Developed Countries: Cross-Sectional Evidence on the Impact of Economic and Political Factors,. Journal Of Banking And Finance, (29).
- (2004). The Choice of Private versus Public Capital Markets: Evidence from Privatizations. Journal Of Finance, 59(6):2835-2870.
- (2003). Operational Risk in Financial Service Providers and the Proposed Basel Capital Accord: An Overview. Advances In Financial Economics, (8):147-171.
- (2003). Determinants of Contractual Relations Between Shareholders and Bondholders: Investment Opportunities and Restrictive Covenants. Journal Of Corporate Finance, (9):201-232.
- (2002). Article II and the Florida Election Case: A Public Choice Perspective. University Of Maryland Law Review, (61):711-738.
- (2002). What Do Returns to Acquiring Firms Tell Us? Evidence from Firms That Make Many Acquisitions. Journal Of Finance, (57):1763-1793.
- (2001). From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization. Journal Of Economic Literature, (39):321-389.
- (1999). The Long-Term Returns to Investors in Share Issue Privatizations. Journal Of Financial Economics, (53):217-253.
- (1997). Management Optimism and Corporate Acquisitions: Evidence from Insider Trading. Managerial And Decision Economics, (18):693-708.
- (1997). Determinants of the Accessibility to Bank Loans in a Transition Economy: The Case of Hungary. Journal Of Comparative Economics, (24):79-89.
- 2017. The Evidence on Mergers and Acquisitions: A Historical and Modern Report.Elsevier Press.
- SSRN Posted Working Papers. No Publisher.
Managing Editor, Journal of Corporate Finance, 2001 - 2018