A recipient of the Lamar Dodd Award for Creative Research in the Sciences from the University of Georgia and a Distinguished Alumnus Award from the University of North Carolina, Dr. Steuer was a co-founder and has served as President of the International Society on Multiple Criteria Decision Making, a society that now has over 2,300 members from almost 100 countries. In addition, having lectured in 50 countries, Dr. Steuer has been an advisor to universities in emerging countries on the establishment of curricula in management and has been Honorary Dean of the School of Industrial Management at the Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology in Vietnam since 1991.
Prior to joining the University of Georgia, Dr. Steuer was a Visiting Associate Professor at Princeton University (one year) and on the faculty of the University of Kentucky (eight years).
PhD, Quantitative Methods in Business, University of North Carolina, 1973
MBA, Accounting & Finance, Cornell University, 1966
BS, ScB, Electrical Engineering & Economics, Brown University, 1963
Prior Professional Positions
University of Kentucky, Assistant and Associate Professor, 1972 to 1981
Princeton University, Visiting Associate Professor, 1978 to 1979
Distinguished Research Award, University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, 2016
Gold Medal Award, International Society on Multiple Criteria Decision Making, 1997
Distinguished Alumnus Award, Kenan-Flagler Graduate School of Business, UNC, 1994
- Qi. Y and R. E. Steuer. 2019. An Analytical Derivation of the Efficient Surface in Quad-and-Higher Criterion Portfolio Selection, Annals of Operations Research, doi.org/10.1007/s10479-018-3101-y.
- Aouni, B., M. Doumpos, B. Peréz-Gladish, R. E. Steuer. 2018. On the Increasing Importance of Multiple Criteria Decision Aid Methods for Portfolio Selection, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 69(10):1525-1542.
- 2017. An Analytical Derivation of the Efficient Surface in Portfolio Selection with Three Criteria. Annals of Operations Research, 25(1):161-177.
- 2016. Value of Information in Portfolio Selection, with a Taiwan Stock Market Application Illustration. European Journal of Operational Research, 253(2):418-427.
- 2016. Extracting from the Relaxed for Large-Scale Semi-Continuous Variable Nondominated Frontiers. Journal of Global Optimization, 64:33-48.
- 2015. Tri-Criterion Modeling for Constructing More-Sustainable Mutual Funds. European Journal of Operational Research, 236(1):331-338.
- 2014. Tri-Criterion Inverse Portfolio Optimization with Application to Socially Responsible Mutual Funds. European Journal of Operational Research, 234(2):491-498.
- 2013. Computing the Nondominated Surface in Tri-Criterion Portfolio Selection. Operations Research, 61(1):169-183.
- 2013. Chinese Corporate Social Responsibility by Multiple Objective Portfolio Selection and Genetic Algorithms. Journal of Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis, 20(3-4):127-139.
- 2011. Comparative Issues in Large-Scale Mean-Variance Efficient Frontier Computation. Decision Support Systems, 51(2):250-255.
- 2010. Integrated Bank Performance Assessment and Management Planning Using Hybrid Minimax Reference Point--DEA Approach. European Journal of Operational Research, 207(3):1506-1518.
- 2010. Large-Scale MV Efficient Frontier Computation via a Procedure of Parametric Quadratic Programming. European Journal of Operational Research, 204(3):581-588.
- 2010. Modified Interactive Chebycheff Algorithm for Convex Multiobjective Programming. European Journal of Operational Research, 204(3):557-564.
- 2009. Dotted Representations of Mean-Variance Efficient Frontiers and their Computation. INFOR, 47(1):15-21.
- 2008. Multiple Criteria Decision Making, Multiattribute Utility Analysis: Recent Accomplishments and What Lies Ahead. Management Science, 54(7):1336-1349.
- 2007. Randomly Generating Portfolio-Selection Covariance Matrices with Specified Distributional Characteristics. European Journal of Operational Research, 177(3):1610-1625.
- 2007. Suitable-Portfolio Investors, Nondominated Frontier Sensitivity, and the Effect on Standard Portfolio Selection. Annals of Operations Research, 152(1):297-317.
- 1986. Multiple Criteria Optimization: Theory, Computation and Application,John Wiley & Sons, New York: 546 pp.
- 1992. Multiple Criteria Optimization: Theory, Computation and Application, Russian Edition. Radio E Svyaz, Moscow: 504 pp.
- 1997. Advances in Multiple Objective and Goal Programming, Springer-Verlag, Berlin: 391 pp.
- 2000. Research and Practice in Multiple Criteria Decision Making, Springer-Verlag, Berlin: 552 pp.