UGA Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Josiah Meigs Distinguished Teaching Professor
Education and Career
- PhD, English (American Lit.), University of Georgia, 1998
- JD, Law, New York Law School, 1987
- BA, English, Colgate University, 1983
Prior professional positions:
- Kilpatrick & Cody (now Kilpatrick Townsend LLP), Litigation, Attorney, 1987 to 1992
Awards, Honors and Recognitions:
- Southeastern Academy of Legal Studies in Business, Larry DiMatteo Senior Scholar Award, 2016
- Hugh O. Nourse Outstanding MBA Teacher Award (core curriculum), 2016
- American Business Law Journal Hoeber Memorial Award for Excellence in Research (with Stephen Park), 2015
- Creative Teaching Award, University of Georgia, 2014Outstanding Teaching Award, University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, 2011
- Ralph J. Bunche Award - Best International Research Paper, Academy of Legal Studies in Business - International Section, 2010
- Master Teacher, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2010
- Outstanding Teacher Recognition, Student Government Association, 2008
- Lothar Tresp Outstanding Honors Professor, Honors Program, 2006
- Hober Excellence in Research Award, Journal of Legal Studies in Education, 2005
- Emil S. Troelston Award for Outstanding Business Education, Alpha Kappa Psi, 2005
- Richard Russell Undergraduate Teaching Award, University of Georgia, 2004
- J. Hatten Howard Teaching Award, UGA Honors Program, 2003
- Academy of Legal Studies in Business, President, 2018-19, Professional
- International Law Section, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, President, 2008 – 2009, Professional
- Labor & Employment Section, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, Chair, 2006 – 2007, Professional
- Southeastern Academy of Legal Studies in Business, President, 2005 – 2006, Professional
- International Committee, ABA Labor & Employment Section, Emp, Co-Chair, 2004 – 2014, Professional
- Southeastern Academy of Legal Studies in Business, Secretary/Treasurer, 2015 – 2016, Professional
Research, Expertise and Publications
Research Interests and Areas of Expertise:
- Employment Law - International and Domestic
- Protection of Trade Secrets
- International Trade Law
- Marisa Pagnattaro and Stephen Park. 2015. The Long Arm of Section 337: International Trade Law as a Global Business Remedy. American Business Law Journal .
- Marisa Pagnattaro. 2013. Labor Rights are Human Rights: Direct Action is Critical in Supply Chains and Trade Policy. South Carolina Journal Of International Law And Business, 10(1):1-62.
- Marisa Anne Pagnattaro. 2012. Preventing Know-How from Walking out the Door in China: Protection of Trade Secrets. Business Horizons, 55(4).
- Marisa Anne Pagnattaro. 2012. U.S. Trade Policy: Increased Emphasis on Worker Rights. Georgia Journal Of International And Comparative Law, 40(3).
- Marisa Anne Pagnattaro & Stephanie Greene. 2011. Say on Pay: The Movement to Reform Executive Compensation in the U.S. and Europe. Northwestern Journal Of International Law & Business,31:591-634.
- Marisa Anne Pagnattaro and Ellen Peirce. 2010. From China to Your Plate: An Analysis of New Regulatory Efforts and Stakeholder Responsibility to Ensure Food Safety. George Washington International Law Review, 42(1):1-55.
- Marisa Anne Pagnattaro. 2009. Is Labor Really Cheap In China? Compliance with Labor and Employment Laws. San Diego International Law Journal, (10:2).
- Marisa Anne Pagnattaro. 2008. Protecting Trade Secrets in China: Update on Employee Disclosures and the Limitations of the Law.American Business Law Journal, (45:2).
- Marisa Anne Pagnattaro. 2008. Getting Under Your Skin-Literally: RFID in the Employment Context. Journal Of Law, Technology & Policy.
- Marisa Anne Pagnattaro & Ellen Peirce. 2007. Between a Rock and a Hard Place: The Conflict Between U.S. Corporate Codes of Conduct and European Privacy and Work Laws. Berkeley Journal Of Employment And Labor Law, (28:2).
- Marisa Anne Pagnattaro. Winter 2007. The Google Challenge: Enforcement of Non-Compete and Trade Secret Agreements in China. American Business Law Journal, (44.4).
- Marisa Anne Pagnattaro. Leveling the Playing Field: Labor Standards in CAFTA. Fordham Journal Of International Law, 29(2).
- Marisa Pagnattaro. 2004. The Perils of Control: Affiliated Liability Under the WARN Act. American Business Law Journal, 41(2-3).
- Marisa Pagnattaro. 2004. Enforcing International Labor Standards: The Potential of the Alien Tort Claims Act . Vanderbilt Journal Of Transnational Law, 37.
- Marisa Pagnattaro, Larry DiMatteo, Lucian Dhooge, Stephanie Greene, Virginia Maurer. 2004. An Interpretive Turn in International Sales Law: An Analysis of Fifteen Years of CISG Jurisprudence.Northwestern Journal Of International Business Law, 24(2).
- Marisa Pagnattaro. 2004. What Do You Do When You Are Not At Work? Limiting the Use of Off-Duty Conduct as the Basis for Adverse Employment Actions. Journal Of Labor And Employment Law (University Of Pennsylvania), 6(3).
- Marisa Pagnattaro. 2001. Genetic Discrimination in the Workplace: Employee's Right to Privacy v. An Employer's Need to Know.American Business Law Journal, 39(1).
- Marisa Pagnattaro, Dan Cahoy, Julie Magid, and Peter Shedd, 2017. The Legal and Regulatory Environment of Business 18th ed. McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
- Marisa Pagnattaro, Dan Cahoy, Julie Magid, O. Lee Reed and Peter Shedd. 2015. The Legal and Regulatory Environment of Business 17th ed. . McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
- Lynda Oswald and Marisa Anne Pagnattaro, eds. 2015. Managing the Legal Nexus Between Intellectual Property and Employees: Domestic and Global Contexts. Edward Elgar.
- O. Lee Reed, Marisa Anne Pagnattaro, Dan Cahoy, Peter Shedd & Jere Morehead. 2013. Legal and Regulatory Environment of Business.Mcgraw-Hill/Irwin, (16th edition).
- Larry DiMatteo, Lucien Dhooge, Stephanie Greene, Marisa Pagnattaro, and Virginia Maurer. 2005. International Sales Law: A Critical Analysis of CISG Jurisprudence. Cambridge University Press.
- Marisa Pagnattaro. 2001. In Defiance of the Law. Peter Lang.
- Editor-In-Chief, American Business Law Journal, 2013 - 2014
- Managing Editor, American Business Law Journal, 2012 - 2013
- Articles Editor, American Business Law Journal, 2009 - 2012
- Managing Editor, Journal of Legal Studies in Business, 2002 - 2005
- Editor-In-Chief, Georgia Bar Journal, 2001 - 2002